Phoenix Public Library
Job Description for Library Assistant
- Assist patrons in locating books and other material in both the library and with NCLS.
- Check items in and out of the library using the automated system.
- Check and empty the drop box. Check the mail.
- Route items to their destination – shelf, delivery bin, holding shelf or repair.
- Issue library cards, edit patron changes. (address, phone #, email)
- Reserve and borrow items for patrons.
- Call patrons to notify them of items on hold or overdue items.
- Learn databases and perform computer searches and data entry for the sirsi system.
- Help patrons with the public access computers and programs.
- Copy and fax items for patrons.
- Keep the library neat and tidy at all times, including behind the circulation desk and in the workroom. Dusting and wiping down surfaces. Put out trash on Wednesday evenings.
Library Assistant works independently some of the time and is often responsible for opening and closing the building according to library procedures.
Other duties as needed: (These are things that need to be done on a fairly regular basis but not daily.)
- Shelf-read, miscellaneous typing, book repair.
- Assist with book processing – cover, laminate books, spine labels, etc.
- Assist with twice a year book sales and setting up for programs.
- May need to cover other hours due to illness or vacations.
- Assist in other miscellaneous tasks as needed.
The Phoenix Public Library staff strives to provide great customer service and to work as a team sharing all tasks.
The hours will be Monday & Wednesday 5 pm to 8 pm and Saturday 10 am to 1 pm.
We are closed Saturdays in July and August.